Lately in this wintry cold weather, I’m steering more towards hot cooked meals and vegetables rather than salads at dinner time. I still have a crazy busy life, so I’m still cooking easy but delicious meals the kids love and ones that warm my taste buds.
I always use the basics to start, lean meat, in this case chicken breast fillets and a rainbow of vegetables. Ready to simmer, sear or stir-fry. It is then, I play with flavours until I find something different and just right. I never feel like I’m ever eating the same meal. There’s always something new.
I love this type of dish when I know I have a heavy lifting session the next day or within 2 to 3 hours after a heavy training session!
I’ve used oregano in the chicken dish for the earthy, musty, green, hay and minty notes. A flavour with a difference. Partnered with crushed garlic and light coconut cream, it gives a slight mix of Thai crossed with Italian. My favourites!
I also added in celery for bone and heart health. Although it has its own unique flavour on its own, you cant taste it in the dish. I’m personally not a fan of celery but for health benefits, I hide it in my dishes where possible.
Oregano is rich in antioxidants, may help fight bacteria, can help with inflammation, menstrual cramps, UTD’s, plus a range of other health benefits.
Fresh, dried or ground can be used. Just remember 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs is about 1 teaspoon of dried and ground oregano is 1/4 of a teaspoon which equals 1 teaspoon of dried oregano.
Prep and Cook time: 35 mins
- 500g lean chicken breast, chopped in 2cm squares
- 3 tblsp corn flour (you could try coconut flour, etc, I’m yet to try)
- 2 tsp ground oregano (you can add more or less depending on how rich you want it. Taste as you go). 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tblsp olive oil, for frying.
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 Massel chicken stock cubes in 2 cups water (its gluten free, trans fat free and vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower
- 1 x 400g tin light coconut cream
- 1/2 – 1 cup peas, bean & corn mix
- 1/4 cup shredded tasty cheese
- 2-3 cups cooked pasta, brown or white depending on the type you choose and how much you want to add in (I always make 3 and save the pasta I don’t need to make another type of meal) In this case I used, 3 cups. Kids wanted white pasta tonight!
- 1-2 tsp organic sweetener
- Sprinkle of rock salt
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
Heat oil in large fry-pan.
Add chicken breast, carrot, peas, corn mix. Cook until 1/2 cooked.
Boil some water for the pasta if you have not done so already.
Add celery, broccoli and cauliflower. Cook a further 2 minutes.
If cooking pasta now, add pasta once water is boiled and simmer until cooked.
Add the chicken stock to the fry-pan, and stir ingredients through.
Add the coconut cream and stir through.
Add the oregano and crushed garlic with the shredded cheese if using. You can also add sweetener here.
In a cup mix cornflour with a touch of water to create a paste, add to fry pan and stir. The mixture will thicken.
Strain pasta if just boiled and add pasta to the fry-pan. Stir all ingredients through, cooking on low for 2 minutes. You can turn up the heat a little if you want to reduce the liquid but continue to stir.
Once mixed, pasta is heated, serve.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese, a fresh sprig of oregano or your favourite herb. Just adds that final touch.