An easy vegetable bake that’s Vegetarian, Vegan, Paleo and Diabetic friendly.
You can easily adapt to your preference by; using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock, avoid the stock altogether and use 1/2 cup preferred milk.
A great way to get your 5 serves of vegetables in for the day!
So here’s the basic recipe…
- 1/2 sweet potato ( 150 g), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot, sliced length ways (can use a peeler and peel long lengths)
- 1/2-1 cup broccoli or broccolini
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/8- 1/4 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded tasty or feta cheese (can omit if not eating cheese)
- 1/4 cup skim milk (or almond or rice milk)
- 1/2 cup trans free or homemade vegetable or chicken stock (again can omit this and use 1/2 cup milk instead of 1/4 cup milk)
- 2-3 tsp crushed garlic
- 1-2 tsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbl wholegrain crumbs or quinoa
- Extra Virgin Olive oil (or preferred for greasing)
Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C.
Peel and cut all vegetables and set aside.
In an oven proof baking dish, spray oil the interior with oil.
Layer up all the vegetables. Start with the sweet potato so it provides a base. Place broccoli in middle layers unless you like it crunchy, then place it towards the top.
Add vegetables in layers. In the middle layer, sprinkle half the cheese over then add remaining layers of vegetables. You can repeat layers if you have a smaller deep dish.
Mix milk, stock, garlic, rosemary and mixed spice together in a separate bowl. Once mixed well, pour over the vegetables.
Sprinkle over remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
Bake on 180 deg C for 30-45 mins in a fan forced oven.
Serve as a side dish on a plate or as a meal.
Vegetarians or Vegans could add their pulses for protein if they like as an option too.
Such an easy dish to add what you like!