Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, iron, and calcium. A 28-gram, or 1-ounce, serving of chia seeds also contains 5.6 grams of protein. Mixed with water, they can replace egg in vegan cooking.
They are fantastic for breakfast and thickening up recipes. Made for breakfast the night before in milk or water etc, they soak up the liquid and become solid. Making them the night before also means there’s no excuses to skip breakfast. Its all ready to go!
They are quite filling so you can share between 2 people and add extra fruit and yoghurt or keep it all for yourself!
- 3 1/2 tbl black & white mixed chia seeds (can use either, white are softer)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbl maple syrup
- Plain or Vanilla Greek yoghurt (can omit this if Gluten free unless your sure of the type of yoghurt your consuming, can also add a couple of drops of vanilla essence for more of a vanilla flavour)
- 3 1/2 tbl black & white chia seeds
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbl maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp cocao powder (depending on your taste, taste after adding 1 tsp)
- Optional: Add 1 tsp Stevia / natural sweetener
- Some blueberries (heated for 30 seconds), 1 strawberry, seeds. Used the next day.
In a bowl, mix all ingredients in the top layer.
In a large glass pour chia mixture in, holding your glass on the side. Place a bowl on the shelf in the fridge and rest glass tilted on its side inside that bowl. Be sure its firmly in place and at the angle you want it.
Allow 1-2 hours to set.
Once the bottom layer is set, mix the top layer of chia seed mixture and set aside.
Add a thin layer of Greek yoghurt on the bottom layer. This will become the middle layer.
Now gently spoon your top layer of chia mixture over the yoghurt.
Again set inside another bowl on its angle and fill glass if you havent done so already to create an even top.
Refrigerate over night.
Morning: Add a dollop of Greek yoghurt, heated blueberries (so you have juice as well) and spoon on top of yoghurt dollop. Add seeds and cocao nibs or whatever takes your fancy.