Sourdough bread is an old favourite that has made a popular come back. But why?
It benefits our health and gut health. A good healthy gut means we can process food better, have better digestion, it builds our immunity and allows us to produce the right kind of bacteria telling your brain that it’s okay to feel good again.
A healthy gut also means our overall well being is boosted. It’s critical for our bodies to absorb vitamins and minerals, hormone regulation, vitamin production, immune response and the ability to eliminate toxins. Not to mention your overall mental health. Your gut “flora” is incredibly important to your overall well-being. This is why probiotics are essential to restoring your intestine to a more normal state.
So how does sourdough bread fit in with good health?
It contains probiotics.
Unlike white bread that is traditionally made with canola oil, sugar and preserved dry yeast to leaven the dough. Sourdough bread is usually made with no oil or sweeteners, it contains mostly wholewheat flour and water. It also contains live yeast cultures, which is the “thing” that gives it that well known tangy flavor. The bonus here, it also stays fresher for longer because of it. No added preservatives are required either.
Sourdough bread is a fermented bread where by using lactobacillus cultures (a probiotic, bacteria that benefits your gut) is used. The cultures don’t live through the baking process however lactic acid is created and that is extremely beneficial to us.
Technically, Lactic Acid helps decrease the levels of Phytic Acid in bread (Phytic Acid interferes with the absorption of certain nutrients, which is not a good thing). This in turn, helps other nutrients become more readily available, digestible and absorbable.
Sourdough takes longer to process due to the fermentation process and takes longer to rise than other types of bread. This is what creates its particular texture.
Buying organically or from places such as farmer’s markets will increase the likelihood of it being “real” sourdough bread. Some larger chain stores quicken the process so may not be as beneficial as true sourdough.
10 Reasons why everyone should eat Sourdough bread:
- It’s easy to digest The bacteria-yeast composition will start to breakdown the starches found in the grains before it even reaches your stomach. That means there is way less work to be done, making it much easier on your gut and better absorption.
- It has a lower glycemic index Sourdough is fermented in a way that depletes bad starches. Meaning that it won’t cause your blood sugar to rise so drastically.
- Better for gluten-sensitivity The longer prep time for sourdough bread means that much of the protein gluten is broken down into amino acids before you consume it therefore easier to digest.
- Provides good acids Keeps the good bacteria up and the bad ones down which could be potentially dangerous. Larger quantities of lactic acid also result in easier digestion and accessibility to more minerals.
- Less yeast Less likely to have infections or yeast over-growth in the body.
- It’s natural Made from whole and wild yeast and the bacteria comes from a very “natural” origin.
- Fewer preservatives Acetic Acid prevents the bread from growing mold so no preservatives are added.
- Good fuel for the body Made from wheat, sourdough bread fuels the production of good bacteria in your gut – much like the insulin and oligosaccharides (simple sugars) found in onions, leeks, bananas, garlic and asparagus.
- Its nutritious Sourdough contains a number of vitamins and nutrients, making it super beneficial to your daily health. Sourdough bread has small to moderate amounts of: iron, manganese, calcium, B1-B6, B12, folate, zinc, potassium, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, selenium, iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin E.
- Weight-loss A good healthy gut that digests well can help with weight loss as everything functions as it should and nutrients are better digested and toxins removed.
Remember, you will be cleaning your gut, so don’t eat too many slices! You may just be running to the toilet continuously! Opt for 1-2 slices of Sourdough as a suggestion rather than sugar filled white bread. Trust me your mind and body will feel better for it!
And that is why it’s the only bread I eat!