A well known favourite meal in a salad.
A restaurant bought caesar salad usually is loaded with calories due to the creamy mayonasise sauce that is used, loaded with calories from oil in the croutons and a heap of cheese.
Here’s a healthier, lower calorie option you can make at home.
Vegetarians can omit the chicken.
- 100 g chicken breast (no skin)
- 3 sec olive oil spray
- 2 cups cos lettuce
- 1 slice prosciutto or 1 short cut bacon piece (chopped and grilled or fried in pan with olive oil 3 sec spray)
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan (or can use Greek feta)
- 1 egg
- 1 slice wholegrain or sourdough bread ( cut in 2cm squares)
- 2 tblsp Greek yoghurt
- 1/2-1 tsp crushed garlic (taste test and add to your liking)
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (can use concentrate)
- Otherwise a low fat low sugar caeser dressing
Toss all salad ingredients in a salad bowl. Add chicken if serving cold.
Make dressing. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Cook chicken if fresh, bake with 3 sec spay oil or cut pieces and fry in pan, using extra virgin olive oil. Cook prosciutto to heat and crunch.
Bake cut bread in 180 deg C oven for 5 mins. Or until browned and crispy.
Poach egg and cook to your liking.
Heat chicken if reheating or can have cold.
Add chicken if cooking in pieces to the salad. Top with baked bread pieces, prosciutto, egg, and parmesan cheese.
Drizzle dressing over salad.