Black bean pasta is a plant based noodle. It’s Vegan friendly and is loaded with protein.
It has no add ins, preservatives, nothing, just 100% black beans full of goodness.
In fact 1 serving gives a whopping 42.4 grams of protein! Black bean pasta is also gluten free, organic has 19 grams fibre, that’s just over half the daily recommended amount. It’s also low in sodium with only 6 grams of fat and only 1 gram of that is saturated per 100 gram serve.
If you have never tried black bean pasta before, it is a more rubbery type noodle with a different texture and flavour than white or wholemeal. It goes best with tomato based sauces.
On that note, with the protein content and certified organic I thought I give it a try.
Vegans can use their own pasta sauce recipes however here’s my family friendly one.
- 1 packet (200g) certified organic black bean spaghetti
- 400-500g premium beef mince (has less fat)
- 1/2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 of tub salt 7 sugar reduced tomato paste (leggos, 140g tub, comes in twin pack)
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 capsicum
- 1/4 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 small carrot shredded
- 1-2 tsp low GI cane sugar or Stevia natural sweetener (can omit)
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian dry mixed herbs
- 1 tsp basil (chop if fresh)
- 1-2 tsp crushed garlic
- OPTION: 2 tbl Parmesan cheese, 1/4 of a block feta, fresh basil to serve amongst plates.
Boil about 4 cups of water in a pot. Once boiling add pasta and simmer gently for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
Dice all veggies and shred carrot.
Add oil to pan, heat and add vegetables and soften. Once half cooked add the mince beef and cook for a further 5 minutes on medium heat.
Reduce heat on mince and vegetables to low for 5 mins adding diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar/ sweetener, herbs and garlic.
Keep coming back to mix through.
Drain and rinse pasta well and plate.
Add pasta sauce and top with Parmesan cheese or feta and garnish with fresh basil.